Types of Ingredients in Legal Cannabis Topical Products
Have you tried legal cannabis topical products before? They are very effective for localized pain relief and may be preferred over other delivery methods like edibles or inhalation. Click here to discover Legal Cannabis Product Types and Delivery Methods.
Many products on the market include more than just CBD and THC into their pain relief products. Today, we are going to dive in on how these active ingredients can enhance the already documented benefits of cannabinoids like THC and CBD!
Use of Ingredients in Topical Cannabis Products
The following ingredients are prevalent in many, but not all pain relieving CBD topical products. As a whole, these ingredients are formulated to boost the relief you are looking for. Use this guide to find the right product for you!
Menthol is a naturally occurring compound found in plants like peppermint and spearmint. It's widely used in topical pain relief products due to its ability to produce a cooling sensation when applied to the skin. Here's how the application of menthol works in these products:
- Cooling Effect: Menthol stimulates the cold-sensitive receptors in the skin, producing a cooling sensation. This effect helps to temporarily alleviate pain by distracting the brain from sensing the discomfort.
- Local Anesthetic: Menthol can act as a mild local anesthetic, providing relief by numbing the area where it's applied. This numbing effect can help reduce sensations of pain or discomfort in the affected region.
- Vasodilation: It can also cause blood vessels in the area to widen (vasodilation), which can increase blood flow to the region. Improved blood circulation may help in reducing inflammation and promoting healing in sore or injured areas.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: Although not as potent as some other anti-inflammatory compounds, menthol does possess mild anti-inflammatory properties. It may help to reduce swelling and inflammation associated with certain types of pain.
- Enhanced Penetration: Menthol can enhance the penetration of other active ingredients in topical pain relief products. This property allows for better absorption of additional pain-relieving substances, potentially increasing their effectiveness.
- Mild Scent: Menthol often provides a pleasant scent that can also help mask other odors associated with medicinal products.
When used in creams, gels, or patches for pain relief, menthol is typically included as an active ingredient at varying concentrations depending on the intended use and desired effect. It's important to follow the instructions and recommended dosage provided with these products to ensure safe and effective use.
While menthol can provide temporary relief for minor aches and pains, it's essential to consult a healthcare professional for persistent or severe pain to identify the underlying cause and determine the most appropriate treatment. Additionally, some individuals may be sensitive or allergic to menthol, so it's wise to perform a patch test before widespread use, especially if you have sensitive skin or known allergies.
Capsaicin is a natural compound found in chili peppers that's commonly used in topical pain relief products for its unique properties. Here's an overview of its use in such products:
- Pain Relief: Capsaicin works by desensitizing nerve receptors called C-fibers that transmit pain signals to the brain. When applied topically, it initially causes a burning or stinging sensation. However, with repeated use, it can lead to a reduction in the amount of substance P, a neurotransmitter that communicates pain signals. This process can result in a decreased perception of pain in the affected area.
- Anti-inflammatory Effects: Capsaicin has shown some anti-inflammatory properties, which can be beneficial for reducing inflammation and swelling associated with various types of pain, such as arthritis, muscle soreness, or neuropathic pain.
- Neuropathic Pain Relief: It's often used in conditions like diabetic neuropathy, post-herpetic neuralgia (shingles), or other nerve-related pain syndromes. Regular application of capsaicin cream or patches can help manage these types of chronic pain.
- Localized Heat Sensation: Upon application, capsaicin creates a warming or heat sensation in the area where it's used. This heat can help relax muscles and improve blood flow to the affected region, potentially aiding in pain relief.
- Application Frequency: Capsaicin products typically need to be applied multiple times per day, and the pain relief is not immediate. It might take several days or even weeks of consistent use before the full effects are felt due to the gradual desensitization of pain receptors.
- Potential Side Effects: Initial use of capsaicin can cause a burning or stinging sensation, and some individuals might experience skin irritation or redness. It's essential to perform a patch test before widespread use and follow the instructions provided with the product.
- Concentration and Formulation: Capsaicin is available in various concentrations in creams, gels, patches, or ointments. The concentration may vary depending on the intended use and the severity of the pain.
As with any topical pain relief product, it's important to consult a healthcare professional before using capsaicin, especially if you have any underlying medical conditions, allergies, or are using other medications. They can provide guidance on proper usage, potential side effects, and whether it's suitable for your specific situation.
Camphor is a natural compound derived from the wood of camphor trees or synthesized from turpentine oil. It's widely used in topical pain relief products due to its various properties. Here's an overview of its use:
- Pain Relief: Camphor has a mild analgesic (pain-relieving) effect when applied topically. It works by producing a cooling sensation on the skin, which can help alleviate minor aches, pains, and soreness. This cooling effect can distract from the sensation of pain.
- Counterirritant: Similar to menthol, camphor acts as a counterirritant. It causes a sensation of warmth or cooling followed by a slight numbness. This helps to reduce the perception of pain by overriding other pain signals transmitted by nerves.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: Camphor possesses some anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce inflammation in the affected area. It can be beneficial for conditions such as arthritis, muscle strains, or sprains.
- Respiratory Relief: In addition to its topical use for pain relief, camphor is also used in chest rubs and inhalants due to its mild decongestant properties. It can help relieve coughs and congestion by acting as a nasal decongestant when its vapors are inhaled.
- Improved Blood Circulation: Camphor's warming effect can aid in improving blood circulation in the area where it's applied. Enhanced blood flow can potentially help with muscle relaxation and promote healing.
- Caution with Usage: Camphor should be used cautiously as it can be toxic if ingested in large amounts or applied to broken or irritated skin. It's important to follow the recommended dosage and avoid using high concentrations of camphor-containing products.
- Various Formulations: Camphor is available in different formulations such as creams, lotions, balms, and oils. The concentration of camphor in these products can vary, so it's crucial to follow the instructions provided with the specific product.
As with any topical pain relief product, it's advisable to consult a healthcare professional before using camphor, especially if you have any underlying health conditions, allergies, or are using other medications. They can provide guidance on proper usage, potential side effects, and whether it's suitable for your specific situation.
Arnica is an herb that's commonly used in topical pain relief products for its potential analgesic (pain-relieving) and anti-inflammatory properties. Here's an overview of its use:
- Pain Relief: Arnica has been traditionally used to alleviate pain associated with conditions like bruises, sprains, muscle aches, and joint pain. It's believed to work by reducing inflammation and easing pain when applied to the skin.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: Arnica contains compounds that may have anti-inflammatory effects. It's thought to inhibit the action of certain inflammatory substances, potentially reducing swelling and inflammation in the affected area.
- Bruising and Swelling: Due to its believed ability to reduce bruising and swelling, arnica is often used topically after injuries or surgeries to help minimize discoloration and edema.
- Muscle Soreness and Strains: Athletes and individuals experiencing muscle soreness or strains might use arnica-based creams or ointments to help alleviate discomfort and promote faster recovery.
- Different Formulations: Arnica is available in various forms, including creams, gels, ointments, and oils. These products may contain different concentrations of arnica, and some may also include additional ingredients for enhanced pain relief.
- Caution with Usage: While arnica is considered safe for topical use, it's important to avoid applying it to broken skin or open wounds. Arnica should not be ingested in its concentrated form as it can be toxic.
- Consultation and Allergies: Individuals with allergies to plants in the Asteraceae/Compositae family (such as ragweed, marigolds, or daisies) should use arnica with caution, as they might be more likely to have an allergic reaction. It's advisable to perform a patch test before using arnica-containing products widely.
As with any topical pain relief product, it's recommended to consult a healthcare professional before using arnica, especially if you have any underlying health conditions, allergies, or are using other medications. They can provide guidance on proper usage, potential side effects, and whether it's suitable for your specific situation.
Green Treez Company Dispensary has a wide variety of Pain Relieving CBD Topical Creams, Gels, and Balms. Check the ingredients with a greater education and achieve the relief you are seeking!
Visit our Nashville Dispensary: 850 Hillwood Blvd Ste 7 Nashville TN 37209.
Visit our Hendersonville Dispensary: 1208 West Main Street Hendersonville TN 37075.
Shop Online at www.greentreezcompany.com and have legal cannabis shipped to the comfort of your own home!